March 8, 2010

My First Relic Cards!!

I just started re-collecting baseball cards in 2005 after almost a 20 year hiatus. I think I stopped collecting around 1987-88 when there was a ba-zillion different card companies producing cards.

Anyway.....I am a partial season ticket holder for the Detroit Tigers and in 2005 we hosted the All-Star game. This being my first AS game I was going to soak up ALL the festivities that I could including Fan-Fest. The big 3 card companies were there and they were giving away relic cards of 3 current Tigers as well as other cards. I think there were 12 cards in all given away. But....RELIC CARDS!?!?? I'm thinking to myself, "They make cards with pieces of the players jersey in them?!?" The hobby sure has changed since the last time I bought baseball cards! However, to get the relic cards, you needed to redeem 5 wrappers of baseball cards from each company. So off I go to find the cards I needed to buy to get the relic cards. I buy my cards for each company and I open them. I don't remember which cards I bought for Topps and Upper Deck, but I bought 5 packs of Absolute Memorabilia. When I bought them, the vendor had told me that there was still a hit left in the box. A "hit", what's that?? So, I pick my packs and I happened to find the "hit" left in the box. This is what I found.....



I was so excited I went back to the table that I purchased them from and showed him. Unfortunately, I showed him while he was telling another person that no one has informed him about the remaining hit in the box was found so I think I blew a sale for him. Oops! You have to remember, I was just getting back into the hobby so I was still green.

On to the giveaway cards.....
My first stop was the Topps table. I give the guy my wrappers and he hands me....



On to Upper Deck and I get.....



And lastly from Donruss....



I was hooked! Not bad for being out of the hobby for almost 20 years!

Tell me about your first relic card....if you can remember.

1 comment:

  1. In 2004 I opened a pack of Leaf Certified, and inside was a Scott Rolen bat card. Real nice card. I have since "lost" this card...but there really isn't anywhere in the house that it could still be.

    Also around 2003, my buddy Doug pulled a Frank Thomas Genuine Coverage out of Skybox flagship. It was the first relic any of us had ever seen, and I'm pretty sure it came from a pack at a gas station.

    I threw a hefty stack of Yankees, mostly Jeters, to pry that one away.

    ReplyDelete