March 15, 2009

Topps Heritage.....FINALLY!!

Yesterday while out shopping with my wife, we stopped at the local Meijer to get some groceries. For those not familiar with what a Meijer store is, it's like a food store and Target type store combined. When we walked in the store, they had their annual Opening Day baseball display up with several shelves of old and new baseball cards along with supplies. Whenever I see anything baseball related, I seem to get pulled towards it. While checking everything out, I noticed a rack of 2009 Topps Heritage single packs hanging...YEA!!! Figuring they have been already searched, (which I ABSOLUTELY despise, they should be shot on-site) I grabbed the first 3 packs and put them in the cart. Now off to grocery shopping. Oh the agony I would endure the next 3 hours, yes I said THREE hours. We were bone dry in the cupboards so our cart was overflowing then to top it off, the register computer went dead with 3, I said THREE items left to scan. So we had to go to another register to rescan everything but fortunately we got to go to the front of the line. Finally we can go home and I can open my cards.

I think by now everyone knows what the cards look like, but I did have to explain to my wife the difference between these cards and the Topps base set. Slowly she is getting interested into baseball cards. She always asks if I got a Carlos Guillen (her favorite player) whenever I open a pack. We have been able to obtain his autograph at some games, mostly away but I'll save those stories for another post. By the way...no Guillen cards in my 3 packs. The first pack did have a Tiger, Armando Galarraga and a SP of the Phillies Coaches. You know the "floating head" card.

The next pack I received another SP, Fausto Carmona and a chrome refactor of Carlos Beltran #'d to 560. Not bad if I do say so myself.



When I grabbed the last pack to open it felt slightly different. Now mind you, when the wife and I went to the store, we were pretty focused on what we had to do, remember...3 hours of grocery shopping!! Anyway....I looked at my wife and said, "I think I may have something here". When I opened the pack, I saw a "white" card in the middle of the stack. I knew I had a hit. I arranged the cards so it would be the last card I see, which I usually do when I have a hit. Going through the pack slowly I get to the end, I see a Flashback Brooks Robinson Memorial Stadium seat card. NICE!! I had the opportunity to meet him on a cruise about 9-10 years ago. He is one of the nicest players I've ever met and I'll save that for another post.


All in all, I like the cards, but I probably won't try to build the set because I haven't been able to complete it the last 2 years. I'll just end up completing the Tigers team set and getting whatever other cards I see that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment